Monday, April 8, 2013

When Baking Goes Wrong

OR How I accidentally made a decent gluten-free cookie.
Most great achievements in human history are born out of laziness. That is how tonight's cookie came to be. I'm going on a dairy-free diet for two weeks to try to help Mina's reflux/gas. I'm going all out so no butter (it is gonna be a really long two weeks). Tonight I wanted to make cookies but I'd forgotten to get a dairy-free butter substitute at the store this week. I decided to use peanut butter and a little bit of coconut oil for some extra fatty goodness. I didn't want to wash any more dishes than I had to so I was determined not to use the mixer. So I melted the coconut oil and peanut butter together instead of trying to cream it with the sugar. Everything was going really well until I went to add flour and discovered I had none. I did happen to have some almond flour I used for Danish fillings last week so I used that and cocoa powder instead of flour. Apart from looking like small mounds of black poo, the cookies came out pretty well. I will share something like a recipe with you. In my effort to minimize dirty dishes, I didn't actually measure anything so my approximations might be off. If you follow the recipe and disaster ensues, please don't blame me.

Not too Pretty

Chocolate Peanut Butter Gluten and Dairy free Cookies
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
1 egg
1/4 cup cocoa powder (maybe a little less - mine came out a little too cocoa-ey)
1/2 cup almond flour
Chocolate Chips

- Melt Peanut butter and coconut oil together
- Stir in brown sugar
- add Vanilla and egg and mix
- Stir in cocoa and almond flour
- Add chocolate chips as desired. Since there is no gluten, the cookies won't get tough so you can add and stir as many times as you want until there are enough.
- Place spoonfuls of dough on a cookie sheet. You may want to press the balls down as they pretty much retain their shape
- Bake at 375ยบ for 10 minutes

People claim that baking you need to be exact and measure carefully or it won't work. That is true of yeasted breads and a few other things but I've found that most baked goods, especially cookies, are very forgiving. Maybe if you put enough sugar and fat in something it has to taste good? I guess once you've made enough cookies, you get an idea of what goes into cookies. It's not just a pastry chef thing either. I think most people just don''t realize that recipes aren't always set in stone. So be lazy and get creative... you may just stumble upon something great. Always remember the words "I meant to do that." And if you need a tester for your creations, I'm available.

No comments:

Post a Comment