Saturday, April 6, 2013

A Series - First Installment "The MRS Degree"

Lately, I've been thinking about going back to work. In November, I quit my job rather than taking maternity leave (the reasons for that later in this series). Now, I can choose when and where I want to work, finances permitting. But I am faced with the struggle of balancing mother and job. This has brought many interesting problems to my attention. I thought about  doing one post about all of them but it would be painfully long and convoluted so I'm going with a series approach. I will try not to bore you too much. I decided to start with something very dear to me, the MRS degree.
For those of you who don't know, a common joke at many small Christian colleges is that the women come to get MRS degrees; They are just there to find a husband. As it turns out, I left Toccoa Falls College with a husband but without a degree, so this is a fun topic for me. There are many problems with this joke but I want to look at what may be the least obvious. Why isn't there an MRS degree?
I believe that women and men should be able to do what they love and I know from personal experience that some people love doing laundry, making food and taking care of children. But for some reason this can't be a career. I actually researched home economics degrees online. While a few schools offer the degree, motherhood is not listed as a possible career choice with this course of study.
This assumes if I choose to be a mother and only a mother, I will never live a fulfilling life. I will never have a career.  If the question is "Can women really have it all?" then we must believe all women want both a job outside the home and a family. Some of us would actually be perfectly content with one. Does that make us less ambitious? Less smart? Less womanly?
One of the great advances of the Womens' Rights Movement is that it expanded the roles of women outside of the home. That is a huge step forward but lets not go so far as to kick women out of the home altogether. Just as some women were made to fight battles or manage companies, some were made to raise children. We are all essential.
I do eventually want to find a job in the pastry field again. I'm particularly interested in chocolate-making. But by focusing on being a mom right now, I don't feel like I'm missing out on my career. This is exactly where I want to be right now. But everyone's different and I'd love to hear other opinions. Feel free to comment on whether you had to/will have to give something up to be a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment