Thursday, June 27, 2013

Progress in Washington... It's not what you think

It has been a week of big decisions here in DC but the most important one was made yesterday. About eight blocks North of the Supreme Court, in a parking lot, under a grocery store, one man decided to do whatever he possibly could to get my car running, and I am so thankful.
Let's back up to last week when I left my car lights on... oops. When I went to move the car for street sweeping, nothing happened. My car was completely dead. We tried jumping it a couple days later but still no success. Finally, we had it towed to an auto repair shop. They jumped it there and somehow got it running. Ben wanted to make sure it ran for a little while to get the battery charged up so he waited in the car outside while I got Mina dressed and ready for a quick trip to the store.
It was not quick at all. After getting our groceries, we returned to the car and it wouldn't start. We asked several people if they had jumper cables with no success so Ben and Mina went on a walk down to Autozone to buy some. While they were gone I found someone who did have cables. He came over to help, but despite several tries, we could not get the car started. I explained my husband was walking to autozone and could get a new battery so this kind stranger offered to take the old battery out and leave me with tools to put the new one in. I was so grateful. Unfortunately, I didn't call Ben in time to let him know that cables did not help.
When Ben and Mina came back with just the jumper cables, this man drove Ben back to Autozone so he could get a new battery, brought him back, and helped put the new one in. After all that, the car finally worked!
I do not know what we would have done without the kindness of this complete stranger. As we were leaving, he casually mentioned that he was a Christian and he just wanted to share God's love. Wow. What an inspiration. I feel good if I help someone by picking up something they dropped. This stranger spent over an hour at the end of his workday helping two people get their car working again. It is so encouraging to see someone actually sharing Christ's love, when just blocks away others are protesting in His name.
When it comes to truly changing lives, it is these small decisions that really matter - the decisions made by those around us and the decisions we make towards others. Laws will change but God's love is constant. It is love that really determines the course of our lives. I know from experience that major decisions are made in DC each day. They just aren't the ones most people are thinking of.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had such huge kindness shown to me from strangers. It's so nice to hear that you're experiencing it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story - what an inspiration to remember there are so many ways we can share our faith. Tomorrow at VBS we talk about God's love and how we are to share it. This is an excellent example I can use tomorrow. Hope the green car behaves from now on!

    ReplyDelete