Thursday, April 4, 2013

Oh the Places You Won't Go

While looking at my Facebook newsfeed earlier today (I do this often as I spend much of my day with only one usable hand), I saw my friends albums from so many wonderful places. They are in places I would love to be right now like London and Paris. Ben and I often talk about moving to Belgium so I can study chocolate and he can study beer. But back in the real world, I am dreading taking a two hour flight to Florida to visit friends and family. A baby complicates things. It will probably be a long time before we can even consider a transatlantic voyage.
Right now, spare money is going to buy Mina new diapers (cloth diapering would be a lot more economical if there weren't so many adorable patterns) and soon it will be going towards a college/tradeschool/following her dreams fund. With limited finances and time off for Ben, vacations are now visiting family or maybe a short weekend trip. And we will try to take advantage of the two years Mina flies free. After that, trips become even more expensive. Those chocolate shops in Belgium are a long way off.
So do I regret not "enjoying my youth" and traveling the world before we had a baby? Well...yes, a bit. But tonight I looked down at the beautiful little girl asleep in my arms and realized none of the beauty in the world could compare to what I held. I don't need to see the world. I am witness to the miracle and beauty of creation every day. I guess we can all find that in our lives whether we travel or not. Where is the beauty in your every day life? What reminds you of the miracle of creation?

P.S. if you do happen to have a plane ticket to Europe (or anywhere else) sitting around, I will gladly take it off your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment