Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Big Day: Part 2

Wilhelmina Taylor Schwanda
7lb 7 oz and 20 inches long
Born 1:08 am Feb. 9, 2013
"PUSH!"
   I felt like I was in that scene towards the end of Juno where she has her baby, everyone there, cheering her on in slow motion. I mostly remember my socks. I had to concentrate on something while pushing and my bright purple, polka-dotted, fuzzy socks made a great focal point. Sadly, I haven't been able to wear them since. I was pushing as hard as I could but not quite getting her out so the doctor had me look so I could see the top of her head. I thought "her head is small... this won't be so hard." little did I know that what I saw wasn't even close to her whole head. Eventually she came out, and I was shocked. She was so big. How did she fit inside me?
  Those questions soon disappeared as my baby girl, still gross and a little bloody was placed in my arms. I didn't care about the mess, she was such a beautiful miracle. It didn't even occur to me until my sister said something the next day that I never checked to see she had all her fingers and toes. I was entranced, looking at the beautiful life Ben and I created. It's an impossible moment to describe. I looked up at Ben and smiled... no words necessary. We were both in awe. No one can tell me miracles don't happen. The proof of miracles, of God, of good in the world is wrapped up in that moment.

  Suddenly, we came back to reality. Ben asked what her name was. Even though I'd liked our other choice a little better, I knew she was Wilhelmina - Wilhelmina Taylor Schwanda. She was measured and wiped off and returned to my arms. Ben told the good news to the family. The nurses got everything cleaned up and after a flurry of text messages, we were finally alone as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment