Friday, February 1, 2013

Boredom... or how to get Whitney to clean the house

Many of you may know I've never been the best at keeping my room/house clean. I wash my dishes and don't let the bathtub get too filmy, but I will never have any desire to keep a perfectly clean home all the time (though I have improved since high school). Usually, I let stuff just build up and then once or twice every six months, I have a major cleaning spree where I freak out about the mess and try to clean everything at once. Then I tire myself out for the next several months. Lately, however, I have found myself at home, by myself, with nothing to do. Something crazy happened... I started cleaning. Some people claim there is a "nesting" instinct that increases as pregnancy progresses that prompts cleaning. I don't buy it. It's cabin fever. Women who are no longer working have to do something to keep their minds off how pregnant they are and when this watermelon is going to pop out.
Anyway, today I tackled the mound of utensils we have piled up in our kitchen that we have no space for. Somehow several useless/redundant pieces have made it through 3+ moves. Now, I will share with you my steps for tackling the utensil drawer. Each utensil should go through a series of tests:

Test 1) Do I really need 5 ladles?
There are a few things I like to have more than one of - wooden spoons, rubber spatulas, pancake flippers* and bottle openers (those things have a way of ending up all over the house). Other than that, multiples are just taking up space. Throw them out.**
*technically called turners I believe but I think everyone understands me better this way
**Please try to donate or freecycle lightly used utensils first. 

Test 2) I use this all the time, like...
If you can count the number of times you've used something in the last year on one hand, it is not worth the space. I find this test also works great on clothes. Specialty items like icing spatulas and pie servers may be worth keeping, but try to find a place other than your main utensil drawer or crock.

Test 3) The one-trick pony
This test is best to employ before buying something, but if you already have a banana slicer, it's best to cut your losses and say goodbye. Almost all kitchen tasks can be accomplished with a good knife.
At work, we did purchase a cherry pitter for the cherry pies but I was pitting a flat of cherries at a time (I think thats 8 of the normal-size bags). So unless, you are pitting a flat of cherries, find another way. And a word of advice to anyone who is pitting a ridiculous amount of cherries - wear gloves. I found that one out the hard way.

Test 4) It's just one morning's cup of coffee
Don't horde utensils. We have a tendency to hang onto ladles with melted handles, cracked and splintered wooden spoons, and rubber spatulas with the ends broken off. Don't be wasteful and just get rid of everything that isn't new and shiny, but if it really needs to go, toss it. Melted and cracked utensils have a lot of crevices for bacteria to thrive in and contaminate your food. Wouldn't you be much happier running to Target and spending $5?

So those are the tests I employed to clear out some of my utensils. I feel like they are so obvious but it is easy to become irrational when it comes to kitchen gadgets and tools. Do you have any other tricks for deciding which ones make the cut?

No comments:

Post a Comment