Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Being Crafty

Last week, a made a blanket for a baby shower gift. I got this really cute dinosaur fabric and didn't want the extra to go to waste so I thought I would make a matching bib or two. Mina taught me that you can never have enough bibs. The bibs turned out to be a real hit and they are so easy to make. Today, I made one for Mina and took some pictures so I could share the process with you. This is the perfect project since I can finish it in less than 30 minutes while Mina is napping.
To start, I had to make a pattern. I found a bib I liked (a nice big one) and traced it then added 3/8" around the edge for a seam allowance.
Next I had to choose fabric (two types). I used a cute sock monkey flannel for the top. The bottom is the outdoor nylon (think parachute) that I used for the bottom of the dinosaur blanket. This is fairly waterproof but still thin and flexible - perfect for a bib. Last week, I used PUL (diaper cover fabric) as the bottom layer, making the bib super-waterproof. If I'm making a bib, I am going to make it waterproof... it just makes sense.
fabrics and pattern
After that, place the two fabrics with wrong sides together and pin the pattern on. Cut out the bib, following the pattern. Then turn the fabric so the right sides are facing each other and pin along the edges.
Sew around bib 3/8" from the edge, leaving a couple inches open at the bottom to turn the bib out. When you are done sewing, cut off extra threads (cutting notches in the fabric along the collar portion makes a cleaner finished product but is not necessary). Turn the bib right-side out through the opening at the bottom. 
Right side out
Now you will need to cut some velcro and pin it to the bib where it closes. Be sure the soft loop piece of velcro is on the underside of the bib and the scratchy hook part is on top (bottom part of bib, top side). Pin in place. Then topstitch around the entire bib about 1/4" in from the edge, tucking the unsewn ends at the bottom under so they get sewn closed. 
Finally sew on the velcro. I usually sew it on as I'm doing the stitched border then just return to sew across the remaining open edge. 
I've found that even if my sewing isn't great, topstitching helps create a neat, finished product.
Last step: take pictures!
Matching monkeys

Because one sock monkey is never enough

This project brought to you by sleep, it's a beautiful thing. Sleep is brought to Mina by hats. She hates them, but they seem to make for long naps... no idea why, but if she's sleeping I won't question it too much.



No comments:

Post a Comment