Monday, May 6, 2013

Defeated by the Internet

The title of this post was supposed to be "Procrastinating" and I was going to tell you I should have been fixing the wool diaper cover I knit but felt like writing instead. As luck would have it, the internet stopped working. Unable to write, I did something productive and fixed the diaper cover. About two weeks ago I started knitting Mina this beautiful wool diaper cover. Wool is supposedly great for nighttime but we didn't have money to spend on diapers (so sad). I had some extra wool yarn lying around so I decided to try my hand at knitting a cover. I found a great pattern online. I even taught myself some new skills. Mina was sleeping when I finished it last week so I just decided to lanolize it (process of prepping wool for use as a diaper cover) without trying out the size - big mistake. It soaked overnight and I waited a few days for it to dry completely. I was so excited to finally put it on Mina... the leg openings just wouldn't go up her chubby thighs. I was angry so I ignored the cover for a few days and worked on other projects instead. Today I finally had the courage to try again. I redid the last couple rows on the legs and I think it will fit but I have to wait for Mina to get up from her nap to find out. It is not worth waking that beautifully sleeping baby for.
I also made Mina another PUL cover today. I got fancy and added leg gussets. The first one I made her had a hole that just kept getting worse and worse. I tried to make it work, but all things must come to an end. This new one, my third, has no hole (at least not that I know of). It is cupcake patterned and super-cute. JoAnn's carries Babyville Boutique, a line of products and instructions for making cloth diapers. It makes things really easy and fun. I've been pretty happy using the diapers at home but prefer other diapers when we are out. The fold-over elastic that makes these so easy to make also wicks moisture from inside the diaper to the outside. It also frays and picks up lint around the edges. I have seen diapers made with these supplies for sale on etsy. I, personally, would not feel right selling something of this quality and I hope it doesn't turn people away from cloth diapers or other work at home moms selling quality products. But it is really fun to be able to put this cute diaper on Mina and say I made that.
Speaking of Etsy, if the wool cover works well tonight, I will put it up on my shop for custom order. I am planning on putting a couple other things up as well, so keep an eye out in the next few days: http://www.etsy.com/shop/IttyBittyKnitting

No comments:

Post a Comment