Wednesday, January 9, 2013

It's Been Awhile Since 7th Grade

I was going to do a nice, cute post with pictures of all the fun baby things I've been knitting but I went to my prenatal class at the Kaiser Permanente medical center tonight. Remember in 7th grade how we all had to watch that video with the live birth in it (at least anyone my age who went to public school did) and everyone in the class kind of closed their eyes. We watched a similar video tonight except it was much more informative and helpful, and consequently more graphic. And while no one closed her eyes or laughed or made immature 7th grade-esque comments, it reminded me that birth is not pretty. In fact, it's downright ugly.
Don't get me wrong, I am so excited about being a part of the miracle of life, but it is a pretty gross miracle. I know I'm not going to care about any of that when I have a beautiful, healthy baby girl in my arms, but I think I needed the reminder. When my baby comes out a little alien-looking, nothing is wrong. If her heart is beating and her lungs are taking in air, that will be one of the most precious and beautiful moments in my life. I am thankful the internet allows me to share this amazing experience with all our loved ones who can't physically be in DC with us, but please do not expect pictures until at least a few hours after our daughter is born. You're welcome. We will share with you all the glamorous post-recovery photos where I am not sweaty, exhausted and in tears and our daughter is a normal color and bathed. Unfortunately, if Ben decides his normal sense of humor is necessary during labor, his black eye might still show up a few hours later, but at least two of us will be looking good. Actually, I don't punch that hard anyway.
The prenatal class was overall great, but was a little longer than expected so you will have to wait until tomorrow for pictures of my knitting projects. I trust you won't mind too terribly.

No comments:

Post a Comment