Sunday, March 3, 2013

Fast Forward

22 Years...
Ben and I aren't the best planners. Having a baby hasn't changed that, but it has made us consider some things that will arise in the future. For me, I realized I am finally going to have to start eating my vegetables. I can't tell my daughter no dessert until she finishes her broccoli if mine never made it on the plate. But even now, so early, we need to think about what kind of example we want to set for our daughter. Her eyes and ears are eagerly taking in all we say and do.
Considering this took me a lot further than just eating vegetables. It took me further than my behavior in general. It took me 22 years into the future. If 22-year-old Wilhelmina is the woman I am now, will I be happy with that? Will I feel I've done my job as a parent? In many ways, yes. I have my own parents to thank for that. They made me eat my vegetables and, more importantly, taught me how to love and so many other important lessons. Not trying to toot my own horn, but I believe they can be proud of the job they've done as parents. Maybe they were thinking these same things nearly 23 years ago. (Knowing my mom, she probably thought about this much sooner; I didn't inherit her planning gene.)
That being said, there are still parts of me I don't like. There are thoughts I don't want my daughter to have when she is 22 and actions I don't want her to take. I want her to be a better woman than I am. That is not going to happen if Ben and I just focus on "setting a good example." We need to be good examples. It's not just what I do in front of Mina that matters, but who I am. If I work harder at actually improving things in my own life, I will become the example I'm trying to set. I can't think of a better motivation than my baby girl. When I start loving better, getting angry less, and acting on my beliefs, a good example will follow. The best planning in the world cannot beat an authentic way of living.

Special thanks to Mom and Dad for truly being an example of Christ the past 22 years. It is because you looked at your baby girl and committed to be that example that I am looking at my baby and doing the same now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment